Thursday, May 20, 2010

O'Sushi, Canton and Dearborn, MI


I have so much to say about this wonderful Korean-owned Japanese sushi restaurant, that I don't even know where to start. The sushi is excellent, the service is excellent (most of the time), and the atmosphere is excellent. I've only seen the O'Sushi location in Dearborn, so I will only comment on the location in Canton. Many people have told me that the exterior of the restaurant is offsetting and beat down. I would have to agree with them, but the strip mall that it is in (Lilley and Ford Road) is getting a face lift as a whole and I can see improvement in the exterior already. It's obvious that not many people judge O'Sushi from its exterior because the customer flow in the restaurant is constant. It's a smart move not to judge O'Sushi from its exterior because on the inside it is just like any other modern Japanese restaurant: sushi bar with overly friendly sushi chefs, small, cozy seating areas, and of course, modern Japanese art throughout the restaurant. As soon as you walk in, you are bombarded with "Hello's! How are you!" from the sushi chefs and shortly thereafter a hostess will greet you and get you seated as soon as possible. In the back of the restaurant's dining room are several tables that are isolated from the rest of the dining room, which seems to appeal to many customers. There are no booths, just 2-and 4-person tables and chairs along with seating at the sushi bar. It can get very crowded in the small restaurant, so I suggest eating at O'Sushi during the early hours of the evening or anytime in the afternoon.
Now, on to the sushi! The sushi is always fresh and beyond what is expected. The presentation of the rolls is just perfect. Usually when I order from their sushi menu, I get a TNT Roll, which you can order spicy or sweet, a snow corn roll, and a Philedelphia roll, but I recently went on a limb and tried some of their more involved, I guess you could say, rolls. I had their Hawaiian roll and I was pleasantly pleased and displeased. I did not like the fact that they packed the roll with loads of avocado, very unappealing to the pallet if all you can taste is avocado. I also experienced this with their eel roll, so I do not suggest getting either of these rolls unless you have a craving for avocado. The waitress recommended I try the crunch roll, so I did. Awesome. The eel sauce that they put on top added a nice sweetness that went great with the tempura shrimp in the roll itself.
I never mind going back to O'Sushi to satisfy my sushi cravings, but a new Kabuki location just opened down the street from this O'Sushi, so both restaurants will surely be competing for Canton's sushi lovers!

No comments:

Post a Comment